Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Are You Following Your New Year Resolutions?

Many Americans or people in general create a list of things they will do or stop doing at the beginning of the new year. How many of us have kept our resolutions? The thing with resolutions are you should make those daily not just for the year. We come up with these big plans of action and we tend to let ourselves down. If we make plans daily and not by the year we are less likely to break them and let ourselves down.

Failure
I am one that knows what it feels like to be a failure. Ok, not a failure, but not meet goals in a timely manner. For instance, I graduated in 1993 from high school. I didn't finish college until 2000. Big difference right, I know, but at least I finished. During that time my mother would say, "You can come home and finish." No was my answer, I am not coming home without a degree. That is exactly what I did. I came home with a BS in Business Education.

Follow Your Own Path
My point is make plans things happen, but as long as you are satisfied with the end result that is all that matters. It may take you longer to complete a goal, but as long as it gets done. Also, if you are doing something that you see someone else do, that might not be the thing for you. Follow your own path and you will be successful.

Don't Give Up
It is easy to give up. Rome wasn't built in a day. Anything worth having is worth working hard to get. We all hit stumbling blocks, but it is how we handle them. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others.

Financial Freedom and Healthy Living
I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions, I just planned to continue to build toward financial freedom and healthy living. I have learned much since I have been home. I have also wasted a lot of money too. I can't dwell on that, all I can do is work on moving forward and putting the money that I make from now on to good use.

Positive Things
The positive things I have done with my money since I have had a career:
Master's Degree in Instructional Technology, TSU '00
'95 Ford Explorer bought in 2002 paid off 2004
2 Rental Properties
'99 Land Rover Discovery will be paid off March 09
The older I get the more understanding that I have. My savings account goes to paying bills, which is wrong. Why did I rob myself and continue to do that. I will be 34 years old in August and still have much to learn.

Things I want to Accomplish
I am proud of my accomplishments, but there are still somethings that I want to get done. For instance:
Complete Phd in Educational Technology and be Dr. Willetta Jackson (looks strange, right?)
Be financially free
Travel all over the world
Change jobs
Teach online courses
Take a year off
Save $22,000 in a year
Buy and sell houses
Move from my current home
Build house
Purchase 4 houses and 4 duplexes
Weigh 165 lbs.

All of the above is in my reach. All I have to do is stay determined and do the right thing by my money, time, and resources. Never say never. I can be anything and do anything that I want as long as I believe. I believe in myself, do you believe in you? Ask yourself that daily. Another question, what would or could you do if you could not fail?

Take Time Out of Your Busy Schedule
Take the time out of your busy schedule to understand that life is what you make it. Say to yourself, starting today I am going to make the most out of the life that I was given. Make small plans and follow them. Do the things necessary to make a difference in your life. Don't settle, you deserve better than that.

Don't just give up if you have not followed your New Year's Resolution. Pick up the pieces and start again. Don't give up on yourself, because I won't.

March Bill's
Liam: $1,087.00
ING: $ 150.00
Credit Card: $100.00

Once Liam is paid off the question is do I build a $1,000 emergency fund or start paying on $13,000 undergrad student loan debt? We will have to see.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy your evening! Be proud of the person you are and know things will get better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi W, looks like we are fellow Houstonians! I saw your post on frugal duchess so congrats on your weight loss. I'm gettin thrifty too and I'm doing the library dvd's and youtube clips.

bettysonly said...

Thanks for the comment! I am trying really hard to make things work. This blog has really motivated me to do the right thing with my finances. It is hard, but ultimately I know it will all work out in the end.