Saturday, June 10, 2017

It's Been a Long Time Coming

This feels so abandoned.  Like always, haven't been here in a really long time.  Overlooked previous posts and boy, I talked a great game and haven't done anything to make any situation better.  Now that's what one would call sad.  There have been many positive things that have happened over the year.  For instance, started seriously paying off debt.  I mean seriously, taking it slow, but getting it done.

Let's see:
Paying off students loans
Started reading Mr. Money Mustache
Opened a Vanguard account
Purchased two IRAs
Refinanced to 15 year mortgage
Got increase on credit

Debt:
Navient    380
Navient    1057
Fed Loan  3085
Allied Ser 6372 (This has to be paid off before I can re-enroll to complete Phd)
Navient    11,000 charged off
Navient    12,000 charged off

At this point, I feel somewhat obsessive about paying off these debts.  It's been too long for me to be saying financial freedom is mine and I haven't done anything to be financially free.  In other words, financial freedom hasn't been mine because I haven't paid off anything that I should have a long time ago.

With that being said, the 2 Navient loans will be paid off by the end of the year.  The Fed Loan will be paid off by March 2018.  The main thing is having most of the debt free and clear by December 2018.  The time has come for me to move, well us to move.  Better place, better environment for the both of us.  It's funny how we tend to live our lives.  For instance, I've had the cars I've wanted, but not the house I've wanted.

Things are looking great, just a matter of doing right by the money I receive, no more wasting it.  Do better is what I keep telling myself, do better.  Retirement is about a decade away.  It's time to do what's right.  It just dawned on me that I'll only have a few more years to pay on my house once I retire.  I should be able to put more on the house or refinance to a 10 year mortgage at some point.  In the meantime, credit scores need to be improved.  I've been working on those for years and nothing.  They'll go up, but drop in a matter of a month.  I'm going to keep working on these things and know that financial success is mine.  :)

No comments: